Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Smoke and Mirrors Day is a day of illusions. The term "smoke and mirrors" means something is not really as it appears to be. People often put up smoke and mirrors to hide something.
This day is also referred to as the Festival of Smoke and Mirrors. We did not discover an actual festival of this nature. But, who needs historical facts to have fun an a special day? Let's get out and enjoy Smoke and Mirrors Day to the fullest.
Friday, March 25, 2011
Pizza Man owners decide not to reopen restaurant
By Joe Taschler of the Journal Sentinel
March 24, 2011 |(98) Comments
The owners of Pizza Man restaurant, which was destroyed by a multi-alarm fire in Milwaukee almost 15 months ago, said Thursday they have decided not to reopen the business.
Family health issues and the workload generated by their growing Stinky Gringo brand of pre-mixed margaritas resulted in the decision not to reopen Pizza Man, said Deanna Amidzich, owner and president of Stinky Gringo Inc. and co-owner of Pizza Man along with her husband, Mike.
The couple had been negotiating to reopen the pizza restaurant at a site on Milwaukee's south side. When the talks broke down, they decided that starting over in the restaurant business was not something they wanted to do.
"We just decided we're not going to reopen Pizza Man," Deanna Amidzich said. "You come to a crossroads, and the way things are right now, (the family's) health is more important than opening a restaurant."
Pizza Man, at E. North and N. Oakland avenues, burned along with several other businesses in January 2010. Pizza Man opened Nov. 15, 1969, and eventually became an east side landmark.
Damage from the blaze was estimated at $3 million. The building had to be demolished. In addition to Pizza Man, the fire also destroyed Cush Lounge, Grecian Delight, Black and White Cafe and several apartments.
The fire was intentionally set and began in the Black and White Cafe, fire investigators have said. Federal and state investigators said in January that they continue to pursue leads in the case.
Meanwhile, distribution of the Stinky Gringo brand continues to grow, with the company having recently added Illinois, California and South Dakota to the list of states where it is sold.
The brand has grown by double-digit percentages every year since it was introduced, the Amidziches have said.
REWARD FOR INFORMATION
The Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of whoever is responsible for starting the Pizza Man fire. Anyone with information about the blaze is asked to call Wisconsin's anonymous arson tip line at (800) 362-3005.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Today is National Goof-Off Day. Here are some exciting ways to observe it:
• Conduct a scientific survey to determine America's favorite flavor of hot Jell-O.
• Try building a mechanical pig.
• Have a go at the latest spring fever exercise fad -- aerobic snoring.
• Try teaching your canary to yodel.
• See how long it takes to liquefy a box of crayons in the microwave.
And name the new color.
• Run your calendar watch back an entire year and see if it helps you remember how you goofed off last year on National Goof-Off Day.
Monday, March 21, 2011
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Friday, March 11, 2011
A Little About the Legend:
* John Chapman (aka Johnny Appleseed) was born on September 26, 1774.
* He was a nurseryman who started out planting trees in western New York and Pennsylvania.
* During the life of John Chapman, the "West" was places like Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois.
* John Chapman was a deeply religious person He was known to preach during his travels.
* According to legend, Johny Appleseed led a simple life and wanted little. He rarely accepted money and often donated any money he received.
* It is believed that he died on March 11, 1845, from what was referred to as the "winter plague". The actual date of his death has been disputed.
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Yesterday you may have been on the receiving end of Be Nasty Day, so today is your opportunity to Get Over It. Don’t be fooled by the name. March 9th represents a well-thought holiday that can benefit each of us. The date marks the midpoint between Valentine’s Day and April Fools Day. Spring is coming so it’s time to forget about the past and start with a clean slate. Forget about your ex, work stress, or the fact that you gained a few pounds this winter. Celebrate Get Over It Day and let’s move forward!
By Downtown Printwear
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Monday, March 7, 2011
Friday, March 4, 2011
Today is National Holy Experiment Day.....
There are a lot of things that can be viewed as religious or holy experiments. Some examples could be:
* Pray for someone to get better
* Pray for snow
* Pray for your team to win the Superbowl
* Pray someone will ask you on a date
* Try saying grace at dinner and see if others join you
* Try to get a person to attend religious services
* Plan to convert someone to your religion
In our examples above, God may grant all, some, or none of the desired results. He may be too busy with the problems of the world to make it snow. He definitely doesn't have a favorite sports team. The Lord truly works in mysterious ways. Sometimes, he has his own plans for an outcome that we may not understand.
We don't want to discourage holy experiments. Quite the opposite, we think they are good. We just believe you shouldn't judge the results. Your religious beliefs will be strengthen and you will be closer to God. So, participate in Holy Experiment Day to its fullest.
Thursday, March 3, 2011
" I Want You to be Happy Day" is an unselfish day. Its a thought that we wish upon others that was care for or love.
Celebrate today by doing more than wishing someone is happy. Do something to make them happy. It can start with an Ecard that would put a smile on there face, or make a quick phone call to say "Hi" and give them a positive compliment. Be creative there are endless ways to make others happy!