Friday, March 11, 2011
Today is National Johnny Appleseed Day
A Little About the Legend:
* John Chapman (aka Johnny Appleseed) was born on September 26, 1774.
* He was a nurseryman who started out planting trees in western New York and Pennsylvania.
* During the life of John Chapman, the "West" was places like Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois.
* John Chapman was a deeply religious person He was known to preach during his travels.
* According to legend, Johny Appleseed led a simple life and wanted little. He rarely accepted money and often donated any money he received.
* It is believed that he died on March 11, 1845, from what was referred to as the "winter plague". The actual date of his death has been disputed.